Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Guess Who's Coming to the Blogosphere?

If you're like me, you surf the net and think "This is all well and good but what the internet really needs is another blog." Well fret no more, your prayers have been answered. Today I am excited to unveil "Seluke's Movie Reviews" a blog which will, on a regular basis...wait for it....review movies.

Now you're probably thinking "Great because the one thing I could never find online is an unqualified yahoo weighing in on all things pop culture." Let me make two observations here: (1) you sound quite cynical and were likely not hugged enough as a child and (2) I would like to think that the one thing I bring to the table is bone fide credentials.

So who am I? I am a professional screenwriter, story editor, and producer who has been writing and making films for nearly 15 years. I have sold screenplays to some of the top producers in the country and have given workshops on screenwriting and story deconstruction. Currently I am reviewing films for CBC Information Morning.

What I would like to put out in the universe is an analysis of the current releases that looks beyond just whether or not they are worth plunking down the $12. More than just a thumbs up or thumbs down, I think people deserve to know if a movie works, why it works and what they can expect. And if it is not worth the $12, why it is and where exactly it falls short. I don't believe it is all a matter of opinion. My experience is that a story (in either the script or screen level) works or it doesn't. My job is to find the answer and share it with anyone who cares.

I recognize not everyone is going to agree with what I am going to say about these movies. In fact there is a whole segment of society which does not see eye to eye with me. I coined a phrase for this group of people - "idiots". These people cannot be taken lightly. Idiots are a big part of the movie going public. How else can one explain the box office success of Dane Cook?

Truthfully I welcome all dissenting views as long as they are about the movies themselves and not personal attacks. The one thing I will not tolerate is postings which are nothing but personal attacks and character assassination. Remember what I always say "Don't hate the player, hate Dane Cook"

Okay, maybe one personal attack but that's it.

No comments:

Post a Comment